I decided this year that I really wanted to can salsa & chili sauce. So, we went to the store & got most of the things I needed & bought some tomatoes from a girl in my ward. And Saturday, I got part of my canning done.
To Do:
Salsa - check
Chili Sauce - to do, Monday's Project
I am very excited about how it turned out. I got the recipe from my aunt Deann. I know that I've said this before, but anything & everything that comes from her, is AMAZING! And this did not disappoint. We had it on our eggs & hash browns this morning, very yummy. It was a little thick, so I just added a tablespoon of the water, to the jar & stirred it & it was PERFECT!!
LoVe iT!
Salsa - check
Chili Sauce - to do, Monday's Project
I am very excited about how it turned out. I got the recipe from my aunt Deann. I know that I've said this before, but anything & everything that comes from her, is AMAZING! And this did not disappoint. We had it on our eggs & hash browns this morning, very yummy. It was a little thick, so I just added a tablespoon of the water, to the jar & stirred it & it was PERFECT!!
LoVe iT!

Here's the recipe:
Deann's Salsa
8 bell peppers
6 onions
12 quarts Roma tomatoes peeled & mashed (I put them in a pan on the stove, boiled, then took them off & put them in a bowl of cold water & they peeled right out, then I pulsed them in my blender)
6-10 cloves of garlic
2 12oz cans of diced mild green chili's
1 jalapeno
2 TBSP cilantro (I added more, I put in a whole bunch)
1/2 cup salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 TBSP oregano
2TBSP cumin
All of the veggies, you dice up very small. I was a little short on the tomatoes, I think that I had about 9 1/2 quarts of them.
Then you add everything into your big stock pots, ( I used my 2). You bring it to a boil, stirring often. Then bring the heat to Med & let it simmer for 2 hours. Let it cook down. I stirred it every 10 minutes.
After it's cooked down add, 2 cups of cornstarch with 1 1/2 cups water,whisk together. Stir in slowly. (Next time, I think that I will take this down to 1 1.2 cups cornstarch & 1 cup of water, so it's not quite so thick.)
Wash your jars, make sure they are clean, I let them sit in very hot water in the sink until I was ready for them, then I got them out & spooned the salsa into the jars. Make sure that you wipe around the rim of the jars, before you put the lids on them. Then you do a hot water bath for 20 minutes. Pull them out & set them on the table & let them seal on their own. They will pop way!
So Yummy!
Deann's Salsa
8 bell peppers
6 onions
12 quarts Roma tomatoes peeled & mashed (I put them in a pan on the stove, boiled, then took them off & put them in a bowl of cold water & they peeled right out, then I pulsed them in my blender)
6-10 cloves of garlic
2 12oz cans of diced mild green chili's
1 jalapeno
2 TBSP cilantro (I added more, I put in a whole bunch)
1/2 cup salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 TBSP oregano
2TBSP cumin
All of the veggies, you dice up very small. I was a little short on the tomatoes, I think that I had about 9 1/2 quarts of them.
Then you add everything into your big stock pots, ( I used my 2). You bring it to a boil, stirring often. Then bring the heat to Med & let it simmer for 2 hours. Let it cook down. I stirred it every 10 minutes.
After it's cooked down add, 2 cups of cornstarch with 1 1/2 cups water,whisk together. Stir in slowly. (Next time, I think that I will take this down to 1 1.2 cups cornstarch & 1 cup of water, so it's not quite so thick.)
Wash your jars, make sure they are clean, I let them sit in very hot water in the sink until I was ready for them, then I got them out & spooned the salsa into the jars. Make sure that you wipe around the rim of the jars, before you put the lids on them. Then you do a hot water bath for 20 minutes. Pull them out & set them on the table & let them seal on their own. They will pop way!
So Yummy!


1 comments:
Okay, Melissa. I'm trying this today. I may be calling you!
Post a Comment