Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (Really Cookies)

Here's a yummy fall treat that I made yesterday. They are just like home made Oreo's but with a pumpkin cookie instead. I found the recipe in my Rachel Ray magazine from last fall & decided to give it a shot, & they really are good!

1 1/2 sticks (6 oz) unsalted butter, 1 stick melted, 1/2 stick softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temp lightly beaten
1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
3/4 tsp plus 2 pinches salt
1 2/3 cups flour
4 oz cream cheese
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and 3/4 tsp salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour.
Using a small ice cream scoop drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly onto the baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch , about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 2 pinches of salt and 1/2 tsp vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on med-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Spread the flat side of the cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.

These are very easy to make. I doubled the recipe & made them a little smalled & I got quite a bit more out of it. My kids loved them, so did the neighbors.

1 comments:

Brittney said...

Ok Melissa
So since I could not get a hold of you I googled and googled until I found your blog Just to make sure you were alive and well. I am so sorry about your eye and neck it looks awful but I hope you are feeling Especially with all the big things happening Tess turning 5 and Parker starting school. I hope to talk to you soon