I have sat down 3 different times to try to write this post. I would get started & I would stop, not finding the right words & not being able to post because there were too many tears. The loss of my Grandpa has been extremely hard on me. I knew that this day was going to come sooner rather than later; but, even though I knew this, does not make it any easier. I feel like I have had a very unique relationship with all of my cousins, aunts, uncles & of course the ones who have held us together, my Grandparents ( on both sides of my family). I love them all so much!
I have decided that it does not matter how prepared a person is, when it finally happens & you lose someone that is close to you; the loss is so real & hurts so bad. It still does not seem real to me. Grandpa's viewing was last night & I knew that it was going to be difficult to see him for the first time laying in the casket. And it was! I was expecting him to sit up & ask me how I was doing & give me a hug. There were so many people there last night, I mean it was supposed to go from 6-8 for the public. The family was there at 5, and by 5:30 people were coming & there were still people there at 9. The line was all the way outside. Grandpa was truly a "Celebrity" when it came to the Marsh Valley area. He & my Grandma have lived in Lava for 61 years. He taught at Marsh Valley High school for 41 years. He taught accounting, shorthand, & business classes. Everyone that knew him loved him. He loved all sports, but especially baseball. He LOVED clothes & always was dressed amazing.
The funeral was today in Lava. Grandma had asked all of us 11 grand kids to share a funny memory or story about Grandpa. I have had time to think about the memories that I have of Grandpa. The one that I shared still makes me giggle.
When I was a senior in high school, I took accounting. I hated it & just could not get it. Grandpa's good friend Ferril Williams from Malad taught me. Every time we went to Lava or they came to see us, he would have me get out my book & he would try to help me with it. Finally at the end of the school year, Grandpa, came to me with the teachers manual with all of the answers to the test, & he said, "Damn it Meliss, Just memorize all of the answers and go & take the test. Zeek (that's what he called Ferril) will never know." Well, needless to say I tried to memorize the answers & I still only got a 75% on the test. I never claimed to be the smartest of his grand kids. This just made me laugh. We knew that Grandpa loved us & cared for us.
The funeral was so good. My Dad spoke & did a great job. My Dad looks just like Grandpa & that is what everyone told him. So, we get a piece of Grandpa with Dad. My cousin Natalie & I were talking last night & I think that she summed it up just right; she said," This is going to be a whole new world that we have never known without him & I don't want it!" I couldn't agree any more.
We went to lava on Saturday to see Grandma & see what we could do to help her & it was so weird to go & not have Grandpa there sitting on the couch rubbing his head. Such a loss! I feel like my heart is truly broken. I love him so much, this is truly a different world without him.
Grandpa was concerned about me getting my cane. He had gotten one last year, and when he found out that I was getting mine he said to me; "Damn it Meliss, I understand how you feel about not wanting to get one & using it, but you can do it!" Oh, how I love him.
Life is definitely going to be different. I know that he is so much better off, but, I'm selfish & I want him here. I hurt. I cry. And nothing can bring him back to me. I am so thankful for the Plan of Salvation & the hope & promise that we are given with the blessing of eternal life. I feel like I have had a better understanding of the plan. As we were at the graveside today, I truly felt a spirit of peace and I know that he was there looking over us. A world with out Sheldon Jones, is not right!
On his program for the funeral was this : The Measure of a Man
Not - How did he die? But -How did he live?
Not - What did he gain? But - What did he give?
These are the things that measure the worth
Of a man as a man, regardless of birth.
Not - What was his station? But - had he a heart?
And - How did he play his God-given part?
Was he ever ready with a word of good cheer?
To bring back a smile, to banish a tear?
Not - what was his church? Not -What was his creed?
But -Had he befriended those really in need?
Not - What did the sketch in the newspaper say?
But 0 How man were sorry when he passed away?
These are the things that measure the worth
Of a man as a man, regardless of birth.
Grandpa, I will miss you forever, until we meet again there will always be a empty hole in my heart! I Love you!
Not - What did he gain? But - What did he give?
These are the things that measure the worth
Of a man as a man, regardless of birth.
Not - What was his station? But - had he a heart?
And - How did he play his God-given part?
Was he ever ready with a word of good cheer?
To bring back a smile, to banish a tear?
Not - what was his church? Not -What was his creed?
But -Had he befriended those really in need?
Not - What did the sketch in the newspaper say?
But 0 How man were sorry when he passed away?
These are the things that measure the worth
Of a man as a man, regardless of birth.
This was truly how you could describe my Grandpa. A kind man that never knew a stranger, but had many friends & would do anything for any of them.
Grandpa, I will miss you forever, until we meet again there will always be a empty hole in my heart! I Love you!
My Grandpa adored baseball. This could not have been any more perfect!



I love this picture with My Dad & my niece McKell.
Just how cute is this!
I love this picture! My Dad & my 3 brothers. Love all of those bald heads!
This is truly my Grandpa. He will be missed so much!
Of everything of Grandpa's these are my favorite. His wing tip shoes, look at how perfect they are. He always kept them polished, and he tied them with the laces going up & down. That's h0w my dad taught me how to tie my shoes. I love these!
My cute Grandma. I love her so much! We are going to take very good care of her!

1 comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss Melissa. I love you!
Post a Comment