On Monday, I spent the day, making chili sauce. Now, you may ask, chili sauce; WHY? Because it's my favorite. It's so good! I love to put it on eggs, omelets, hash browns, roasts, chicken. The list goes on.
When we moved to Bear River City, my mom was blessed to have one of the best friends, EVER! Suz & my mom were friends for around 20 years. Suz battled cancer for as long as she possibly could & then the inevitable happened. We went to her funeral when I was pregnant with Tess. We love Suz! She was the sweetest lady ever & we dearly miss her. This was her recipe & she would make it almost every fall.
When we moved to Bear River City, my mom was blessed to have one of the best friends, EVER! Suz & my mom were friends for around 20 years. Suz battled cancer for as long as she possibly could & then the inevitable happened. We went to her funeral when I was pregnant with Tess. We love Suz! She was the sweetest lady ever & we dearly miss her. This was her recipe & she would make it almost every fall.
Suz's Chili Sauce
24 large tomatoes
5 large onions
4 green peppers
2 red peppers
3 heaping TBSP salt
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
3 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
Chop up veggies. I did the same thing with my tomatoes, as I did with the salsa. You don't have to, but I found it to be the easiest. I put them in boiling water for a while, then I put them in cold water & peeled them, then I put them in my blender & pulsed them. Put all the veggies in a large stock pot, & mix with all of the spices & ingredients. Bring to a boil & turn the temp down to med, let this simmer to desired consistency, some where around 3-5 hours. I did mine for 4 hours.
Wash & dry jars & lids. What I did with both recipes, to keep the jars warm& to prevent them from cracking when I put the hot sauce in the jars. I put the jars up side down on a cookie sheet in the oven on 200 for about the last 20 minutes. Spoon the sauce into the jars, wipe off around the rim & make sure they are clean. Put the lid on them. Then put them in a hot water bath, (the water must be boiling & the water has to be up over the top of the jars. Put the lid on the pot & let it boil for 20 minutes. Take out & set on table until they seal.
This recipe makes 8-9 pints.
I made 3 batches of it.
I got 27 jars.
It was my whole day, but now I'm so thankful for it, & it smells AMAZING while it's simmering all day!
I have to add that Clayn has been so, so, so good with helping me. With both this & the salsa, he chopped up the onions & peppers. He helped me out a ton. It truly was a team effort.
Thanks Clayn, your a great support!
24 large tomatoes
5 large onions
4 green peppers
2 red peppers
3 heaping TBSP salt
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
3 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
Chop up veggies. I did the same thing with my tomatoes, as I did with the salsa. You don't have to, but I found it to be the easiest. I put them in boiling water for a while, then I put them in cold water & peeled them, then I put them in my blender & pulsed them. Put all the veggies in a large stock pot, & mix with all of the spices & ingredients. Bring to a boil & turn the temp down to med, let this simmer to desired consistency, some where around 3-5 hours. I did mine for 4 hours.
Wash & dry jars & lids. What I did with both recipes, to keep the jars warm& to prevent them from cracking when I put the hot sauce in the jars. I put the jars up side down on a cookie sheet in the oven on 200 for about the last 20 minutes. Spoon the sauce into the jars, wipe off around the rim & make sure they are clean. Put the lid on them. Then put them in a hot water bath, (the water must be boiling & the water has to be up over the top of the jars. Put the lid on the pot & let it boil for 20 minutes. Take out & set on table until they seal.
This recipe makes 8-9 pints.
I made 3 batches of it.
I got 27 jars.
It was my whole day, but now I'm so thankful for it, & it smells AMAZING while it's simmering all day!
I have to add that Clayn has been so, so, so good with helping me. With both this & the salsa, he chopped up the onions & peppers. He helped me out a ton. It truly was a team effort.
Thanks Clayn, your a great support!
0 comments:
Post a Comment