Thursday, July 23, 2009

What's in a Name?

What is a name? How much importance can a name really have? Is it a family name, a wild name, preppy name, old fashioned name ~ What does your name mean for your sense of identity? We learn to define our selves by the names that we are given. But how can a name be of such importance? Your name can help define your personality.

I've been thinking lately about names, & how important they are. When I was young I had my names picked out for my kids, if I had a boy he would be Braden, & a girl would be Mattie (after my great-grandma). Then I actually got married & pregnant & then the real test of our marriage would begin, naming the child. I made lists of names, & I would rank them in the order that I like them & then I would give it to Clayn & have him cross out the ones he did not like & then I would do the same with his. Let's just say that we truly did not see eye to eye about the names.
My list went something like this for Tess :

  • Addison (Addi Mae)
  • Mattie Anne
  • Ellie Mae
  • Meg
  • Gia
  • Emma
  • Sadie
OK, so you can kind of get a clue as to the names that I really liked. Most of these were some how family related, well at least 3 were. So, his list went something like this :
  • Eleanor
  • Gweneth
  • Elizabeth

OK, now there is nothing wrong with ANY of these names, don't get me wrong. But they are not my style. I wanted old fashion, but cute names. And Clayn wanted old fashioned & formal. They have to have a formal name, that is real & not too childish, because when they grow up, honestly who can take Ellie Mae seriously. Well, I can, because she'd be Ellie. Well, that didn't fly.

I will never forget, how we came up with Tess. We were coming home from my parents one night & we were just right out side of Tremonton, & we had really like Addison, & we 'd call her Addi & Clayn was OK with that, but it just was not sitting right with me. So, I told him, these were his choices : Emma, Meg or Tess (I had always liked the name Tess), well that's how we came up with Tess. I hope that she will know how much thought & time went into choosing the name that was suited just for her. As I look at her, there is no way that she is Addison, or Meg, or Ellie; although I still very much like those names. She is & always will be my Tess.

With Parker, it wasn't quite as hard, we liked Jackson (I'd call him Jack), Hunter, Pierce, Parker & Hudson. I was & still am crazy over the name Hudson. I think that it is such a cool name, so if anyone out there wants to take the name Hudson, just know that it truly is a cool name. I also, really liked Pierce. Clayn wasn't really against them, he just thought that they were a little too preppy. So, we agreed on Parker & he is truly our Parker. I really do love that name.

That's how we came to our kids names; Tess & Parker, although, I still wouldn't have minded having Addison & Hudson. Although, that would totally change everything about them, as I know & love them.

I think that a name says a lot about a person. I have to say that I have always liked my name. Melissa is a good name, it is of Greek origin, and it means bee & honey. Not bad. I'll take it. I found out the other day that my dad had wanted to name me Janet. Not that anything is wrong with Janet, it's just not me. Thanks Mom, for putting your foot down on that one.

I am thankful for my Tess & Parker & I hope that they will come to love their names as much as we do. I hope their names are something that will help them with their identity & personality, and something that they can be proud of.

To me, names should be taken seriously, because its who that little baby at the time is going to be known throughout it's whole life; and to go around with the name Cocoa, would be tough for some. A name is the first thing that you truly know about a person & usually something that you remember. I'm just thankful that I can be proud of my name & of my children's names. I hope that it is something that they will continue to grow to love & help them become who they are meant to be.

0 comments: