One of the simple pleasures in life for me is being in the kitchen. I enjoy cooking and baking, making food for others to enjoy. I find it very satisfying to bake bread, pies, & cookies. One of my favorite things to make is dips and appetizers. I have always enjoyed throwing parties, having get togethers, finding some reason to celebrate & have people over.
I believe that it's in my blood. My great grandma Mattie, was a very good cook & she loved it. She was always cooking & baking. She would make homemade bread, pies, cakes, cookies, and homemade soups, with homemade noodles. My grandma Marlyn is also a very good cook. She feeds everybody in Downey, everyone who has a baby, a funeral, new move ins all receive something from her kitchen. My mom is a great cook, we always had very good food. She made bread all of the time. My aunts are all great cooks, also.
Some people come from a home where the mother cooks & makes it a priority to feed their family, and other people, just really don't enjoy cooking. I have never really hesitated about trying anything new or difficult. I find such satisfaction in feeding my family.
I made a few good things this weekend. They were very easy, and good.
I would like to share them.
Hot Artichoke and Crab Dip
1 8oz cream cheese
1 cup mayo
1 garlic clove pressed
1 14oz artichokes chopped
1 8oz crab meat chopped
(I just use a can of crab meat, I pay a little more & buy a better meat)
3/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
1/3 cup green onion thinly sliced
1 tsp lemon zest, I like to add some lemon juice
1/8 tsp pepper
Mix altogether and bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
Garnish with 1/3 cup chopped red pepper & some more green onions.
Serve with cubed french bread.
Ham & Turkey Sandwich Spread
3 cups ham and turkey lunch meat chopped fine
1/2 cup almonds sliced
1/2 cup celery chopped
1 cup mayo
1/2 Tbsp chicken broth powder
1 tsp dill weed
Mix altogether, & chill.
Serve on either rolls or croissants.
Strawberry French Toast
3 cups strawberries sliced & mix with 1 cup of sugar
set aside
Combine 1/2 cup pecans, 6 Tbsp butter, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a sauce pan, simmer for 5 minutes. set aside
Combine 4 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 2 Tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt, 3 Tbsp sugar, mix well.
Slice up french bread, soak up in egg mixture. Cook in frying pan until brown.
In a food processor combine 8oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar & 1/2 cup whipping cream;
pulse until combined.
To serve, put pecans over french toast, then the strawberries & then the whipped cream.
Then Enjoy!
I believe that it's in my blood. My great grandma Mattie, was a very good cook & she loved it. She was always cooking & baking. She would make homemade bread, pies, cakes, cookies, and homemade soups, with homemade noodles. My grandma Marlyn is also a very good cook. She feeds everybody in Downey, everyone who has a baby, a funeral, new move ins all receive something from her kitchen. My mom is a great cook, we always had very good food. She made bread all of the time. My aunts are all great cooks, also.
Some people come from a home where the mother cooks & makes it a priority to feed their family, and other people, just really don't enjoy cooking. I have never really hesitated about trying anything new or difficult. I find such satisfaction in feeding my family.
I made a few good things this weekend. They were very easy, and good.
I would like to share them.
Hot Artichoke and Crab Dip
1 8oz cream cheese
1 cup mayo
1 garlic clove pressed
1 14oz artichokes chopped
1 8oz crab meat chopped
(I just use a can of crab meat, I pay a little more & buy a better meat)
3/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
1/3 cup green onion thinly sliced
1 tsp lemon zest, I like to add some lemon juice
1/8 tsp pepper
Mix altogether and bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
Garnish with 1/3 cup chopped red pepper & some more green onions.
Serve with cubed french bread.
Ham & Turkey Sandwich Spread
3 cups ham and turkey lunch meat chopped fine
1/2 cup almonds sliced
1/2 cup celery chopped
1 cup mayo
1/2 Tbsp chicken broth powder
1 tsp dill weed
Mix altogether, & chill.
Serve on either rolls or croissants.
Strawberry French Toast
3 cups strawberries sliced & mix with 1 cup of sugar
set aside
Combine 1/2 cup pecans, 6 Tbsp butter, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a sauce pan, simmer for 5 minutes. set aside
Combine 4 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 2 Tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt, 3 Tbsp sugar, mix well.
Slice up french bread, soak up in egg mixture. Cook in frying pan until brown.
In a food processor combine 8oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar & 1/2 cup whipping cream;
pulse until combined.
To serve, put pecans over french toast, then the strawberries & then the whipped cream.
Then Enjoy!
1 comments:
Yum, now I'm hungry!
Post a Comment